Saturday, August 1, 2009

First blog post

Hey everybody.

Sorry it took so long to get this thing off the ground. Joannah and I have been living in Ecuador for about a month and a half now. We are about two weeks away from being done with training, and then we are headed off to our site for two years. Training is pretty intense ... lots of language and technical classes.

Today we are headed off to a technical trip for a week. We have a nice overnight 12 hour bus ride to looks forward to, and I think we have to start working tomorrow around 8 am.

Yesterday two other volunteers and I challenged three locals to a game of Ecuavolley (Ecuadorian volleyball.) I guess it´s the same as volleyball, but for starters, it´s played in Ecuador. Also, you use a soccer ball instead of a volleyball (ouch.) Also, the net is about ten feet high. It´s a three on three game, and we definitely underestimated the talent of our opposition. We each lost $5, and the whole town was laughing it up as I spazzed out on the court, accidentally spiking the ball onto my own side of the net. Soccer balls are really hard, and today my wrists are bright red. Other than that it was a lot of fun.

The people are great here, the food is delicious (Jo and I have both eaten cuy, or guinea pig) and the country is beautiful. Check out our pics on facebook. Hopefully there will be more to come soon. Anyway, this blog took forever to set up, so the next post will be longer.

Adios

3 comments:

  1. Hi guys, glad you're doing well. Wedding pics are beautiful, can't wait for some new Ecuador pics soon!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just see the volleyball game now...Rob: you should have an advantage with those 10 foot nets! Love hearing your adventures - look forward to more blog-posts!
    xoxo m-k

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll school you in Ecuavolley.

    ReplyDelete